August 1st-6th is Simplify Your Life Week.
Simplify your life this back-to-school season. Getting back into our routines once summer ends is always difficult. Slowly, the weather turns colder, the days get shorter, and our to-do lists get longer. Luckily, we've gathered the best tips to help you stay organized and on track.
Pick up a book or two from your local library before you get back to school and schedule some time each day to read. This will sharpen your brain and get you back into the school mindset. It is said that if you want to be a better writer, you should read great writers. Writing is a great skill to have not only for school, but for every other component of your life.
Using Google Calendar can help you save time and streamline your organizational processes. A few key features that will help you get organized:
- Google Calendar is basically a Master Calendar with a bunch of individual calendars aggregated in one place. You can have a separate calendar for personal, work, school, anything that seems necessary to you. Calendars are color-coded so you can easily what's going on.
- Google Calendar allows you to invite other Google users to share a calendar with you. If you are collaborating with a team of people, this tool is invaluable. The app also allows you to set permission levels on each individual calendar to control the amount of power you grant to other people. You can allow them to have full access or set it up so they can only view an event but not edit it.
- Google Calendar also has a wide database of available calendars that you can subscribe to on your calendar (such as U.S. Holidays.) Google allows you to subscribe to numerous pre-populated calendars for free, like your favorite team’s game schedule or the sunrise and sunset times for your city.
- Google has integrated Gmail and Google Calendar to allow you to create events on your calendar right from an email.
- Unlike an application that you install on your computer, Google Calendar runs entirely in “the cloud,” meaning it is stored on a server that you log in to. This means you can access your calendar from any device that has an internet connection.
- When scheduling events, you can also schedule reminders to help you remember to do something.
What values or objectives are most important to you in the upcoming months? Is it having calm mornings, eating dinner together, not over-scheduling, having dedicated family time, or a good homework routine? Consider what is most valuable for you to spend your time on and focus on those things.
Creating a schedule for your tasks, appointments, and events. Use Google Calendars and set up alerts so that when an event or deadline is getting near you are notified in advanced. Even if you don’t abide by the schedule all the time, it is still a great habit that will serve you successfully though out your life.
Sometimes it's hard to say no to friends or family. If you know you have to work or go to school early in the morning, but you go out with friends late at night anyway, you'll find yourself unfocused and tired the next day. Sleep is important to your health, and a lack of sleep can have a huge negative effect on your life. It's important to have fun and socialize, but you should prioritize and keep your health.
Saying no to doing too many favors is a good practice too. If you struggle to balance what's already on your schedule, don't add more on! We all want to help our loved ones, but you can't pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself and you'll be able to help others more effectively.