Midnight Snack Series
Our Midnight Snack series features ideas to cure Midnight Hunger.
This month, celebrate fall flavors with Apple Pie Bites and Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese. Whether you want something sweet or savory, these apple snacks will curb your late-night autumn cravings.
Apple Pie Bites
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice, and additional apple pie spice (about ¼ teaspoon) for sprinkling on top of crescent rolls
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced into 8 (1/2-inch) slices
- 1 (8-ounce) can Pillsbury Original crescent rolls
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and apple pie spice. Set aside.
- Melt butter and toss apple slices in butter, set aside.
- Arrange crescent roll triangles on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Evenly distribute brown sugar mixture onto each triangle.
- Sprinkle each triangle evenly with the chopped pecans.
- Place an apple slice on the wide end of each triangle. Wrap crescent roll dough around each apple.
- Brush each crescent roll with remaining butter. Sprinkle lightly with additional apple pie spice.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Credit: The Blond Cook
Apple & Gouda Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of fresh crusty bread
- 1/2 granny smith apple, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 slices smoked or regular Gouda cheese
- Lay out your slices of bread. Add 1 slice of cheese to a slice of bread. Add apple slices on top of each slice of cheese. Top with another slice of cheese, and then place the remaining bread slices on top. Slather butter on the top piece of bread.
- Heat your skillet over medium heat, and lay the sandwich with the buttered bread touching the skillet. Butter the top piece of bread now. Place a sandwich press or heavy bottom skillet on top of the sandwich to press it down. Cook for 3-4 minutes on first side, or until browned. Flip carefully and cook 2-3 minutes on the other side, allowing to brown (careful – second side usually cooks faster).
- Slice in half and serve immediately!
Credit: Domestic Superhero